Friday, January 2, 2015

Ruler work

Ruler Work


Our final prototype arrived last week, the day before Christmas Day, and after all the months of work and the years of contemplating a ruler foot for domestic machines we can now see that it has all been worth while.

Most people think of ruler work as straight lines and maybe some curves, but it is so much more.

I am often asked by quilters why can't I use your quilting Rulers and templates on my sewing machine, I would love to be able to quilt those patterns without having to draw every line first.

If you can free motion quilt you can use rulers, if you haven't free motion quilted before rulers are an easy way for you to learn as the rulers give you a guide to rest the Ruler Foot against and follow. Just like drawing around a stencil with a pen - only we are using a Ruler Foot instead of a pen and we are moving the fabric and template around the Ruler Foot.

Wreaths are beautiful but they are extremely difficult to stitch freehand, many accomplished quilter's will tell you that it is very difficult to stitch the same shape 16 times around to form a wreath. But with a template it is easy.


I mark 4 cross hair reference lines to locate the centre of the block and to give me  4 points of reference to make certain that my wreath ends at the correct position.

Ruler work can be used to form a complete quilting design or can be used as the backbone of a design and ruler work can be used as fillers.

When I design a template I always put in reference lines for a number of reasons, the reference lines help keep you on track and some references lines make if easy to use the template to create border and sashing designs using the templates.






1 comment:

  1. Got your whole packet from Judy in Aus, but the pamplets do not seem to echo the precise templates in the pack, I am looking on how to use the no 3 spinafex and the 22, can you please help?

    ReplyDelete